I don’t like to go through the hassle of cooking when I’m eating alone, because I think it’s a waste of time cooking for myself, eating on my own, and cleaning up every thing myself.
Occasionally, however, I will think the otherwise and whip up something special for a lonely diner, that’s me, if I have a new recipe to try out, hehe.
Recently bought a recipe book and was fascinated by how simple it is to prepare some of the common Western dishes and desserts usually seen in restaurants’ menu. After examining almost all the recipes in the book, I realised that the simple secret key ingredient in all those wonderful foods is…. cream! 😛
So, experimenting with cream in my dishes for the first time (it’s true!), I made myself bow tie pasta in sinful creamy tomato sauce for my one-person dinner. I have had pasta in creamy sauce many times in delis and cafes, but never knew how simple it is to prepare the same at home.
3 slices of bacon, cut into strips
10-15 cherry tomatoes 10 (or more as you like), cut into halves or quarters
Half a onion, diced (or less if you don’t like)
1-2 carrots, diced
(You may include diced celery if you like)
Some chopped garlic
Tomato paste, 1 small can
Milk 1 cup
Cream for cooking 2 cups
Salt and ground black pepper
Pasta, the type and amount as you wish
1. Stir fry bacon and cherry tomatoes until the tomato skin peeled off. Put aside.
2. Saute chopped garlic in a bit of oil, add diced onion and carrot and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add canned tomato paste into veggie, stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. If it gets too thick and difficult to stir fry, add a bit of water.
4. Add milk and cream into the mixture. Cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the cooked bacon and tomato into the sauce, and let the sauce cook for a while.
6. Cook your pasta al dente. Pour some sauce over the pasta when it’s time to serve. Garnish with cherry tomato or herbs.